Friday, June 8, 2007

Potato scares Rice's Parents via Telephone

One fine evening, Potato and Rice were enjoying a nice dinner at Rice's house. In the middle of dinner, Rice's phone rings.

Rice: "Hello? Hel-lo? "

Potato puts down his fork (please note not a spork) in curiosity.

Rice: "Look - I can't understand you…. "

Potato to Rice : "What was that about? "

Rice : "Someone speaking a language I couldn't understand. Clearly a wrong number. "

We go back to having a pleasant dinner when the phone rings again.

Rice : "That better not be the same person or else..." (shaking fist in anger)

Rice picks up the phone: "Hello? Look, you have the WRONG number. I can't understand you. "

Then Rice hangs up the phone in disgust.

Rice to Potato: "Dang people. I hate it when people call me and can't even speak English. You can't even tell them they have the wrong number. I bet they understand though. "

Potato to Rice: "Mmmm mmm. Yeah, well I just hope they are not calling because you are a girl and it's not some freaky phone call. "

So, about 5 minutes later the phone rings again.

Rice : (muttering all sorts of words that would make any sailor blush)

This is when Potato's protective instincts kick in. Potato leaps up and darts to the phone.
Potato thinks to himself, no one is going to hassle my (then) girlfriend. I'll show them… I'll give my deep scary Potato voice and they won't call back ever.

Potato picks up the phone and in his deep, forceful voice like a drill sergeant (think R. Lee Ermey in Full Metal Jacket) gruffly says "Hello!" into the phone. There is a pause and then Potato hears a small voice in the background - "um Hello, may I speak to Rice?"

It was Rice's father.

Potato thinks quickly and readjusts his voice to the normal soft and soothing tone it normally is. "oh, hi, sorry about that… sure… here she is" and hands the phone to Rice who is fighting back laughter when she hears her dad's voice.

After the conversation with her dad ended, Rice just sort of smiled at Potato knowing that he was sort of embarrassed about what just happened. Potato just laughed with the realization that maybe Rice's parents were right… Potatoes can be scary!

No comments: