Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Rice confuses shoe clerk

Rice has feet shaped like a duck, just without the webbing. They're pretty darn wide, making it practically impossible to find nice shoes at your typical shoe store or department. Though, Rice would say it is a blessing in disguise, for she has reason to believe she carries the "ImeldaMarcosTooManyShoes"-gene.

Anyway, thanks to the wonderful world of the Internet, Rice found a shoe store especially for people with wide feet, Leonard's Wide Shoes. The store has a very good selection of shoes for men and women. They are located in Las Vegas, NV.

As luck would have it, we visit Vegas about four times a year, usually staying at the MGM Grand. We like it because you don't have to drive the Strip in order to get back to the hotel. Plus, the MGM is home to the best steakhouse we've ever been to, CraftSteak.

Using GoogleMaps, we found that the shoe store is within walking distance of the MGM. Rice absolutely had to go, if not for anything, just to marvel at all the pretty shoes she could actually get her waterfowl inspired feet into. (as a side note, keep watching this blog for Potato's adventure down the Strip in 115 degree weather)

We enter the shoe store, and Rice starts trying on shoes. As with most guys, Potato browsed the shoes in the men's section, finally deciding that the smart move would just be to sit down and wait. Rice is being helped by a nice curteous gentlemen, probably in his mid-40's. She finally decides on a pair of nice heeled sandals, and Potato joins her at the cash register.

Rice : "Thank you so much for helping me. I really love your store."

Clerk : "You're very welcome...Um, can I ask you something?"

Rice : (guarded) "Uh, sure you can ask"

Clerk : "Well, it's more of a statement. You know, we see a lot of Orientals here in Vegas..."

Rice : (nodding politely, trying not to roll her eyes)

Potato : (thinking) "Dude, don't say it! Don't say it!"

Clerk : "...and well, you speak English real good!"

Potato : (flashing back to a scene from Pulp Fiction where Vince and Jules are cleaning out
the back of the Nova and Jules is saying "...I'm a mushroom cloud laying
MotherF*cker, motherf*cker, I'm Superfly TNT, I'm the Guns of the Navarone!)

Potato : (thinking) "Dude, I told you not to say it! You're on your own, I'm outta here"

Potato : (looks to see if the shoe store has a fallout shelter of some sort)

Rice : (thinking) "What are my options here? Do I put on my teacher hat a respond "Yes, I do speak English well, but you don't seem to have mastered basic grammar"? Do I call the guy a ignorant idiot? Do I spin some outlandish tale about my father working as a counterespionage agent in China, and him being fluent in seven different languages, including English?"

Rice : "Well, thanks sir. I was born in this country."

Clerk : "Really? That explains it."

Potato : (looks to see if the bomb has dropped or not) "Ready to go sweetheart?"

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That is really funny! I had someone once claim that I had an accent even after I told him I was born in the U.S.

Unknown said...

I was laughing out loud as I was reading this... I can just picture it in my head. I'm glad you guys are doing this blog and I can't agree more with what you said here "Marriage is so much more fun when you can laugh with each other about the world."

Unknown said...

I was laughing out loud as I was reading this... I can just picture it in my head. I'm glad you guys are doing this blog and I can't agree more with what you said here "Marriage is so much more fun when you can laugh with each other about the world."

Melody Bliss said...

bwahahaha.

I really hate it when people do that to me. Of course I don't have the excuse of being born here since I was born in Korea. :P

heh